- Innovation Canada ToolBased on search criteria, this tool can provide you with the most personalized federal government services that can support your business.Use the tool
- The Canada Job Grant helps employers train new or existing employees for jobs that need to be filled. This flexible program is designed to meet the needs of businesses of all sizes, in all industries and regions.More information
- CanExportFinancial support for small/medium-sized firms development of new export opportunities:More information
- Canada Small Business Financing Program (CSBFP)CSBFP is available to all businesses or start-ups operating for profit in Canada with annual gross revenues of $10 million or less. This program is delivered by financial institutions in partnership with the federal government.
- Innovative Solutions CanadaInnovative Solutions Canada is a new program with over $100 million dedicated to supporting the scale up and growth of Canada’s innovators and entrepreneurs by having the federal government act as a first customer. Twenty participating federal departments and agencies will set aside a portion of funding to support the creation of innovative solutions by Canadian small businesses.By funding proposed solutions, the program is supporting the development of early- stage, pre-commercial innovations.More information
6. Strategic Innovation Fund
The Strategic Innovation Fund allocates repayable and non-repayable contributions to firms of all sizes across all of Canada’s industrial and technology sectors. The program has a budget of $1.26 billion over five years. It consolidates and simplifies the Strategic Aerospace and Defence Initiative, Technology Demonstration Program, Automotive Innovation Fund and Automotive Supplier Innovation Program.
Women’s Entrepreneurship Strategy (WES)
A centerpiece of Budge 2018, WES is a comprehensive, whole-of-government plan to help women grow their businesses through access to financing, talent, networks, and expertise.
- WES Ecosystem Fund (deadline to submit application: Nov. 22, 2018)The WES Ecosystem Fund is investing $85 million over five years to strengthen capacity within the entrepreneurship ecosystem and close gaps in service for women entrepreneurs. Projects must be led by non-profit organizations (including social enterprises and cooperatives) and be inclusive of the needs of diverse and under-represented women.More information
- Women Entrepreneurship Fund (deadline to submit application: Nov 15, 2018)As part of the Strategy, the Government is making funding available directly to women entrepreneurs through the Women Entrepreneurship Fund. The objective is to provide support to women to grow their businesses and facilitate their pursuit of opportunities in markets abroad. The Fund is a $20 million investment providing up to $100,000 in non-repayable contribution funding for 12 months.More information
Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC)
- Business Loan (up to $100,000)
- Xpansion LoanDesigned to help business owners realize projects that are key to growth and success, without putting cash flow at risk. More information.
- Women in Technology Fund: One of the world’s largest venture capital funds dedicated to investing in women-led technology companies. Funding includes $200 million over next five years.More information
- Financing for Cleantech firms
- Industrial, Clean and Energy Technology (ICE) Venture Fund
BDC Capital’s Industrial, Clean and Energy (ICE) Technology Venture Fund tailors its investments towards capital-efficient and scalable businesses enhancing resource productivity with the potential to operate across a global market. We invest in early and development stage Canadian companies, and use our experience in materials, electronics and ICT to build commercially successful global companies.
6. IT Venture Fund
The BDC IT Venture Fund manages over $300 million in venture capital investments across Canada in emerging and mid-stage Internet, mobile and enterprise companies. Our initial investment typically ranges from $2M to $5M in Series A or B rounds with up to $15M invested over the life of the company.
Our investment team includes five partners based in Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver and San Francisco. The partners have extensive operating experience in the software space,
having previously served as CEOs, VP Sales, CFOs and developers. Altogether, the five partners have founded eight companies. We lead the majority of our investments and use our knowledge, resources and worldwide networks to help promising early-stage companies become global leaders. The Fund has invested in a number of successful companies including Radian6 (acquired by Salesforce), Q1 Labs (acquired by IBM) and Layer 7 (acquired by CA).
Futurepreneur Canada is a national, non-profit organization that provides financing, mentoring, and support tools for aspiring business owners aged 18-39.
Partnering with BDC, Futurpreneur Canada can offer collateral-free loans at better interest rates, of up to $15,000 per business. BDC may provide up to $30,000 in additional funding. More information: https://www.futurpreneur.ca/en/get-started/financing-and-mentoring/
2. Newcomer assistance and financing
Futurepreneur is partnering with BDC to help support newcomers to Canada (i.e. lived in Canada for fewer than 60 months) with limited or no established credit history in Canada to secure financing.
This is by no means an exhaustive list, but merely attempts to highlight a number of the existing government programs, services, and partnerships that aim to better support and help finance Canadian small businesses.